Monday, October 29, 2007

Significant ST Elevations for STEMI – is it more than 1 mm or 2 mm; which leads – the precordial or the limb leads?

A lot of people asked me whether I have read anything on the significant ST elevations in ECG for STEM. I remember reading that the American Heart Association in its 2005 Guidelines on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiac Care mentioned ≥1 mm regardless of whether precordial or limb leads- seems like the Americans have simplified things; whereas when I read the European Resuscitation Council (ERC) guidelines on resuscitation (2005) – I remembered that the Europeans are still insisting on ≥2 mm in precordial leads and ≥1 mm is enough in the limb leads. Then when I read the new Malaysian guidelines on STEMI, I found out that the Malaysian guidelines that use this criteria ≥1 mm: I,II,III, aVL, aVF, V4 – 6 and ≥2mm in V1-V3. So which is which now? Then I come across this table below adapted from the ECG book by Chan et al that I find really helpful:

Study

Minimum Consecutive Leads

Minimum ST Elevation (mm) Limb leads

Minimum ST Elevation (mm) Precordial leads

AHA/ACC

2

≥1

≥1

GISSI-1

1

≥1

≥2

GISSI-2

1

≥1

≥2

GUSTO

2

≥1

≥2

TIMI

2

≥1

≥1

Minnesota Code

1

≥1 mm: in leads I,II,III, aVL, aVF, V5-6

≥2mm: V1-V4

Reference:

Chan TC, Brady WJ, Harrigan RA et al. ECG in Emergency Medicine and Acute Care. 1st ed. Pennsylvania: Elsevier Mosby; 2005.

Looks like the Malaysian guidelines is most similar to the Minnesota Code (which is often used too in other studies and guidelines)…..

See the editorial article by MacFarlane in Heart Journal year 2000. You can download the article free by clicking here.

The Malaysia CPG on STEMI can be downloaded from the MOH website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I chanced upon your blog while surfing the net on the move by ING recently.

Anyway, I was expecting something else from the title Emergency Medicine ie medical treatment while in the field. My personal interest for a number of years have been in this area from serving in a fire & rescue department about 14 years ago. I am now in IT & training.

Be that as it may, I am encouraged to see knowledge based sites authored by Malaysians.

I shall be a regular visitor here.

regards,

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

PLEASE NOTE: All contents in this blog are copyrighted materials, unless otherwise stated. Even if you encounter materials in this page without a copyright notice, it does not mean that it is not copyrighted (Click here to read TEN BIG myths on copyright explained). This is especially so as most nations are signatories of the Berne Convention on international copyright law (World Intellectual Property Organization). Nevertheless, I have licensed almost all the materials contained here under Creative Commons licenses strictly for educational, non-commercial purposes only. Kindly email me at cksheng74@yahoo.com should you want to use any of the materials for commercial purposes. Thank you.